Finally, the warmer months are HERE! We don’t know about you, but we’re ready for fresh, new, and exciting things this summer. Summertime means lots of family gatherings, vacations, and plenty of quality time spent enjoying our favorite snack.
What better way to celebrate summer than with a POP of color and flavor? Try this colorful recipe for a twist on your typical popcorn night. Kids will love all of the fun colors, and nothing says “summer” like a sweet treat!
Fun in the Sun Summer Popcorn
- 8 cups popped Amish Country Popcorn, make sure to remove the un-popped kernels.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 to 15 drops of food coloring or about 1/8 teaspoon of gel food coloring.
- Begin with 8 cups of popped popcorn, divided between a few bowls. Make sure there are no un-popped kernels. You should use the number of bowls that matches the number of colors you want to use. Example: If you are using 4 different colors, use 4 different bowls of popcorn.
- Line a large-sided pan with aluminum foil. This will be where you put the color-covered popcorn to bake.
- Over low heat in a saucepan, melt the butter with the sugar. Once melted, add the water and vanilla extract together and stir.
- Bring mixture to boil over medium heat. Stir continually. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the temperature reaches 238 F with a candy thermometer.
- If making multiple colors of popcorn, separate your mixture into different bowls, then add the different food colorings you desire.
- Quickly add your colored sugar mixtures to the popped popcorn in each bowl and stir into popcorn. Coat as much popcorn as possible.
- Spread the colored popcorn mixture onto the pan. Then, bake in 300 F oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to completely cool in pan. After colored popcorn is cooled, break into pieces and eat! Store leftovers in an airtight container.